When you hear that there is a movie starring Robert de Niro and Anne Hathaway called “The Intern”, the first thing that comes to mind is that the sweet young lady and Oscar winner is the intern, but Noooo. The 70-year-old retired widower is the intern; he is an inspiration indeed.
Here is a list of reasons why this movie is essential for all those who feel they have fallen to the ground and need a reason to get up again:
- The intern, the movie, is a Nancy Meyers film, and what does that mean? She is the one who wrote “Father of the Bride”, “Something’s Gotta Give”, “The Holiday” and “It’s Complicated”. She is the creator of the best feel-good-movies ever. Watching this movie is like being in a bubble of happiness for 120 minutes.
- Robert de niro. The cutest 70-year-old man Ben Whittaker, who is so willing to learn and be a senior citizen intern, is a spoil alert. The first scene starts with Ben playing yoga; I haven’t seen anything as sweet as that in a while.
- Anne Hathaway, after seeing her as Fantine in “Les Miserables”, you get to see the glow in her eyes again as Jules Ostin, the owner of a fast-growing e-commerce fashion company, riding her bike in the office. Yes, in the office not to the office. She is that amazing.
- You will definitely get inspired by how Whittaker, De Niro, who is open to learn new things in his 70s, doesn’t say that he is too old for what he’s doing, as compared to Danny Glover in “Lethal weapon”.Whittaker has gotten tired of retirement and seeks a challenge.He doesn’t sit around doing nothing, he says, adding in his application video: “I still have music in me, absolutely positive about that!”
- If you have ever thought about making a career shift, then “The Intern” is a must-see movie. If a retired executive can start new e-commerce learning,so can you. If Whittaker did it, so can you. Go apply for a new job and learn all you want about the career you have dreamt about all your life.
- There is no such a thing as silly business. Jules Ostin, Hathaway, had a startup from her kitchen and in 18 months she hopped from 25 employees to 220. She has done that by wearing clothes and telling people what to wear.Even after becoming a CEO, every now and then she works in the customer service, so she won’t forget how it all had started.
- Talking about an inspiring work place, “The Fit” is the perfect one.Jules cares about having a healthy work environment with no private offices, because they are all one team where no boundaries are allowed.
- Marital stability and professional achievement are challenging, but it really can be done if you choose your partner wisely. Ah, and massages are important, “that is a teaser” *grins*.
- Experience and fatherhood are sometimes truly needed. You are never over-experienced to ask for help from senior citizens. You are never too old for a hug or a shoulder to cry on, especially from a father, or a father-like figure.
- While Jules is under pressure to give up her post of CEO to someone outside of the company as her investors feel that she is unable to cope with the workload, she never quits and keeps on fighting for her own dream and her independence, saying “Mark Zuckerberg never brought in a CEO – and he was a teenager!”
Behind at least one successful woman stands DeNiro, who never stops dreaming and is always up for a challenge.
I highly recommend watching “The Intern”, which is considered one of the best movies in the last decade. There will be some tears, but worth it. There will be a part of you shining during those two hours.
BY: ABIR YASSIN
EDITED BY: NADA ZEYADA & NADA ADEL SOBHI
How did studying a CIPD qualification with ICS Learn change my career?
Journalism: Mariham Magdy
“Choosing ICS Learn has been one of the best decisions I have ever made!
I personally struggled for nearly two years trying to kickstart a career in HR and as we all know, HR is one tough industry to crack. “After choosing ICS Learn, I had a number of recruiters contacting me for HR roles and I couldn’t believe it! The level of attraction I received once putting the words ‘Studying towards CIPD’ on my CV was immense.
“I finally managed to gain an HR Administrator role in one of the best companies and couldn’t have been more pleased with being offered such a fantastic opportunity.”
Anika Parmar, CIPD LEVEL 3 & LEVEL 7 STUDENT
” Other course providers did not offer upfront information about how support would be given and by whom. ICS Learn proudly promotes the tutors and high levels of expertise. This gave me confidence that I would be in good hands.
Just one month after enrolling with ICS Learn for my CIPD course, I landed my first HR role and am over the moon!”
Nikki Long, CIPD Level 3 Student
“I really wanted to break into HR/Learning and Development roles, but the jobs I was applying for required a CIPD qualification, so I then took the leap and started with ICS Learn. “From not being able to get an interview for roles I started getting offers as soon as I mentioned CIPD on my CV.”
Nin Sandhu, CIPD Level 3 Student
“As a recent student of ICS Learn, I have completed my Level 5 Diploma. Prior to starting the course, I didn’t work in an HR role, so after shopping around and a lot of Google searching, I got into contact with a student advisor at ICS Learn.
The gentleman I spoke to was very endearing and friendly, as I didn’t work in an HR role and had no HR qualifications I was looking to start the CIPD Level 3 qualification, however, the advisor suggested I started with Level 5 as I had a university degree. “This was possibly the best choice I made as it has helped me become more recognised academically and I was able to get my first HR role in Alstom within 2 months of starting my course.”
Rukhsaar Hussain, CIPD Level 5 Student
“I have been able to use my studies in making decisions at work and able to relate the practical way of my work to my academic studies. “The tutors on my modules are friendly and approachable which has made me feel very supported throughout the course.”
Bernadette Aquino, CIPD Level 7 Student
“Since I decided to enroll onto a CIPD Level 5 qualification with ICS Learn in April last year, it has already had a tremendously positive impact on my change in career direction.
After careful comparison with other learning platforms, ICS Learn stood out to me as the best one available, as I knew people who had done this course and were able to gain successful entry into HR, either like myself during studying, or very quickly after completion.
They had good testimonies from students and offered an excellent flexible payment programme which made it accessible.
ICS Learn also offers good study support, from your own tutor, or even from fellow students!
Even though I’m still working towards my qualification, it has 100% helped me secure my future as an HR professional.”
Taj Chelvaiyah, CIPD Level 5 Student
Which Certification is right for me PHRi™ or SPHRi™?
Written by: Mariham Magdy
When deciding to take a step forward for their international certification, many HR professionals hesitate between choosing the right credential that suits their professional experience and practice; whether the PHRi™ or the SPHRi™?
In this article, we will provide a comprehensive comparison between the two credentials, to help you decide which certification is right for you.
First, we will highlight the eligibility requirements for both:
Let’s elaborate more about what is meant exactly by a “professional-level experience in an HR position”?
HRCI defines a “professional-level” HR position as one that includes:
- The ability to use independent judgment and discretion in performing work duties.
- A level of specialized knowledge in the HR field with some authority for decision-making.
- In-depth work requirements, such as data gathering, analysis, and interpretation.
- Interaction with a broad range of individuals, including key personnel.
- Individual accountability for results.
The Exam Content Outline for both certifications.
While the PHRi builds a professional mindset for the HR professionals on how to manage soundly the different HR functions, standardizing the steps they need to follow for the successful implementation of various HR processes; the SPHRi enhances the strategic aspect of HR Management Practices.
In other words, both certifications curriculum complements each other, and it depends on where you are on your professional career ladder to decide whether you are lacking the knowledge on how to professionally manage certain HR functions or are you ready to expand your strategic views and practices in the HR field?
The Certification Renewal:
- You must earn 1 ethics credit during your three-year certification cycle.
- This is a part, not in addition to your 60 required recertification credits.
I believe that the “Recertification” condition mandated by the HRCI increases the value of the certification itself since it ensures the continuous learning of the certified professionals.
One of the valuable slogans of the HRCI Certifications, is that it is “Earned not Given”, and thus the eligibility and merit of earning, must be continuously evaluated and confirmed.
Recertification is one of the many reasons that HRCI certifications are the most recognized and trusted by HR professionals and the organizations they serve. And now, recertification credits are easier than ever for you to access and earn.
And now let us know more about the Exam Format & Length:
The Exam Questions are either multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, drag and drop, or scenarios.
The scenario questions present typical HR situations, followed by a series of exam items based on the scenario. These scenarios require you to integrate facts from different subject areas.
The HRCI website provides extremely useful bundles for the exam preparation material along with trial tests to assist you to get familiar with the certification exam questions and exercise them widely prior the exam itself.
In addition, the HRCI offers a “Second Chance Insurance” which is a pre-paid and non-refundable fee allowing you to take the exam for a second time in case of failing your first time.
Whether being certified as PHRi or SPHRi, the certification has three main advantages for you:
- Requires specific work experience, competency, and education.
- Requires recertification, which makes sure that you stay current in the HR profession through continuing education.
- Allows you to put the letters after your name.
Through the HRCI valuable certifications, you get connected to an exclusive network of motivated HR professionals around the globe – Nearly 145,000 certified HR thought leaders working in more than 100 countries and territories.
Emotional Intelligence and Business Excellence
Written By: Dr. Maha Magdy
Many of us as soon as they hear about ” Emotional Intelligence” think that it’s only related to love and relations with your partner, but have you ever related it to your business? How would it help you achieve your goals? Increase your income? Enrich your resources?
In business world, we usually care for IQ of candidates and consider it one of the main aspects to use for the performance evaluation of employees, ignoring their EQ which is proved to be the strongest predictor of positive performance and long-term success according to recent studies.
Let us first identify what is meant by EQ to be able to discover how foundational it is for a thriving workplace.
EQ or Emotional Intelligence is the ability to be aware of your emotions, moods & motives and to redirect them and manage your behaviors.
In other words, emotions are energy, and “Emotional Intelligence” is the ability to use or direct this energy to push you towards achieving your goals, which means you need first to identify your emotions then deal with them wisely.
If you aim to be a unique leader you must know that rising your EQ enables you to influence other’s emotions and interact with them successfully and even direct their reactions!
This is not a bare claim, but a scientific truth that I am going to explain now.
Scientifically, EQ is the ability of your brain to build strong neural connections between: “the limbic system” (center for emotions in your brain) and “the prefrontal cortex ” (the rationale thinking center), the more neural connections your brain build, the more emotionally intelligent you become. The good news is that you can train your brain to build these neural connections through emotional intelligence coaching techniques.
Emotional Intelligence, as I mentioned before, is mainly about emotional awareness, which is the ability to recognize your feeling, understand your habitual responses to events and realize how your emotions affect your behaviors and performance which is critical to your business.
Emotional Intelligence also enables you to acquire the ability to manage your emotions, stay focused and think clearly even when experiencing powerful emotions, which is crucial for your productivity, and would be reflected on your decisions, motivation, and relationships with others.
Emotional Intelligence coaching techniques will help you discover your limiting thoughts and beliefs and reframe them to unleash your potential and achieve the goals you though before to be unachievable, simply you would be able to choose how to react and whom to be.
One of the most important skills you acquire through emotional intelligence is the ability to master your personal power, the secret to become limitless through realizing your real capabilities and use them to put yourself where you deserve to be.
In these quick changes and surprising events, we face every day, emotional intelligence allows you to cope with stresses in a healthy way and minimize your negative thinking, this will protect both your physical and mental health and would reflect on your business.
Enhancing your EQ promotes you to build better relationships which reflects directly and indirectly on your business whether you are in a managerial position or an employee.
From all that we have mentioned above, we can realize how emotional intelligence would benefit your business through greater performance and productivity, greater income, improving personal skills, improving leadership skills, and acquiring a more healthy and stable work environment especially that it could be developed through training.
ATD Middle East Conference 8th – 9th June 2021 “Reflecting, Reimagining, and Revitalising Learning and Talent Development”
Press Release Sunday, 10th of June 21 Written by: Mariham Magdy Informa Connect launched the ATD Middle East Conference and...
Q&A with Dr. Wael Elayied – Founder of TEDxWadMedani in Sudan, Lecturer & Consultant
INTERVIEWER: MAHMOUD MANSI “TEDx is considered as a window that opens to different cultures and people from around the world....
How did studying a CIPD qualification with ICS Learn change my career?
Journalism: Mariham Magdy “Choosing ICS Learn has been one of the best decisions I have ever made! I personally struggled...
Which Certification is right for me PHRi™ or SPHRi™?
Written by: Mariham Magdy When deciding to take a step forward for their international certification, many HR professionals hesitate between...
Emotional Intelligence and Business Excellence
Written By: Dr. Maha Magdy Many of us as soon as they hear about ” Emotional Intelligence” think that it’s...
How did the International Certification from the HRCI change your career?
Testimonials from Certified HR Professionals in the Middle East Journalism: Menna Hamdy Mostafa Gallal (PHRi, Egypt) – Recruitment Manager at...
HRCI Assumes ISO International Secretariat Role for Technical Committee 260 on Human Resource Management
May 04, 2021 07:00 ET | Source: HRCI ALEXANDRIA, Va., May 04, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — HRCI®, the premier HR credentialing and...
Interview with Eureka (ICS Learn Student) Customer Service Agent – Qatar Airways
Interviewer: Mariham Magdy 1. HR Revolution Middle East: Welcome to HR Revolution Middle East Magazine. It’s a great pleasure to...
The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport becomes an Approved Provider from the HRCI through the Community Service Program(Cairo Branch)
Press Release Cairo, 10th April 2021 The Arab Academy for Science Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT), held a live webinar...
تعاون بين شباب السودان ومصر لتنظيم النسخة الثامنة لتيدكس ودمدني بالسودان
شباب من مصر والسودان يترجموا التعاون بين البلدين الشقيقين في المشاركة في تنظيم النسخة الثامنة لمؤتمر تيدكس ودمدني بالسودان. يعتبر...
- Arbeit Tipps
- Business Poetry
- Careers in Alex
- Civil Work
- Criticize HR
- Employee Diary
- HR Feminism
- HR Fossils
- Job Opportunities
- Kritisieren HR
- Personal Branding
- Press Releases
- Work Tips
- حفريات موارد بشرية
- حقوق المرأة والموارد البشرية
- مقابلات شخصية
- نصائح عمل
- نقد الموارد البشرية
- نقد سينمائي
Interviews11 months ago
Agile HR: Q&A with Fabiola Eyholzer | Co-Founder Just Leading Solutions LLC
Interviews2 years ago
Q&A with Founder of Shaghalni; Omar Khalifa
Articles4 years ago
Challenge Stressors Versus Hindrance Stressors, and Resources to Overcome Stressors
Interviews5 years ago
حوار صحفي مع الكاتبة الشابة والمهندسة نوران السقيلي
Articles2 years ago
6 Personality Traits that Tell if you are a “Considerate” Employee
Magazine1 year ago
إدارة الموارد البشرية في المؤسسات التعليمية
Movies6 years ago
Minions as An Inspiration for Workers!
Articles6 years ago
The Devil Wears Prada; A Journey of Self-Discovery